HISTORICAL SITE DETAILS

Fort de Chartres State Historic Site

Prairie Du Rocher, Illinois

Fort de Chartres was originally built in 1720 as a wooden fort. It was rebuilt in 1753-1756 using limestone. The fort was one of the strongest forts in North America at that time. Fort de Chartres served as the seat of civil and military government in Illinois country. French troops from Fort de Chartres fought in the battle at Fort Necessity and aided in the defeat of George Washington’s troops. The site features a partially rebuilt stone fort, reenactments during special events throughout the year, over a mile of trails to the Mississippi River and a research library.

1350 State Route 155
Prairie Du Rocher, Illinois 62277
618-284-7230

Hours of Operation

Historic site is open year-round, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m every day. Picnic area closes at dusk. Closed major holidays in winter.

Fort de Chartres State Historic Site
Accomodations
Visitor Experiences

Fort on Site
Gift Shop
Group Tours
Handicap Accessibility
Hiking/Biking Trail
Museum
Open Year Round
Park/Recreation Area
Picnic Area
Reenactments