HISTORICAL SITE DETAILS

Fort Presque Isle

Erie, Pennsylvania

Fort Presque Isle (also known as Fort de la Presqui’le) was a French fort. The main role of the fort was to be a supply-and-transfer point for troops and supplies heading south to Ft. Duquesne. The French evacuated and burned the fort in 1759, after the siege of Fort Niagara and the defeat of relief forces at the battle of La Belle Famille. The British built a new fort but it was burned during Pontiac’s War in 1763. The original site was Presque Isle Bay, Erie, Pennsylvania. A historical marker is located at Front and Parade Streets in Erie. The Erie County Historical Society maintains a museum in Erie.

6th and Parade Streets
Erie, Pennsylvania
(814) 454-1813

Hours of Operation

Erie County Historical Society
Accomodations
Erie Area Convention & Visitors Bureau
Visitor Experiences

Museum