The British government mounted a major offensive in 1755 to end the French control of Fort Duquesne and destroy other French strongholds in the region. As the British army, led by Major General Edward Braddock, moved westward from Virginia, they were forced to widen the Nemacolin path and build a roadway to accommodate the 200 wagons, heavy artillery and over 2000 troops. This roadway, known as Braddock’s Road, can today be traveled easily along modern highways, much of it following present day Route through Maryland and Pennsylvania. However, the original road trace is barely recognizable and much has been destroyed, over grown or is located on private property.
For more information, visit the following websites: